Position Description: Reading Intervention Teacher
About Kuumba Academy Charter School:
Kuumba Academy Charter School (KACS) is a tuition-free public charter school
In partnership with our founding organization, Christina Cultural Arts Center Inc. (CCAC), CCAC and KACS form a unique non-profit public school partnership committed to educational excellence. Through the innovative union of academics, arts, technology and family engagement, each individual’s learning style is nurtured resulting in creative learners who are positive agents of change in the community. KACS is open to all students Kindergarten through 8th grade. Kuumba Academy is dedicated to developing exceptional students with strong character who strive for academic and artistic excellence. Kuumba Academy is committed to being the highest performing charter school in the state of Delaware, and closing the achievement gap in the city of Wilmington.
Responsibilities of Kuumba Academy Teachers Include but Are Not Limited to:
Academic Achievement and Character Development
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented and structured learning environment
- Motivate students to achieve high academic and behavioral standards
- Invest students and families in development of academic success and Kuumba Core values
- Utilize data to drive instruction and reading based interventions
- Design and implement unit and lesson plans in collaboration with grade/subject teams
- Teachers will provide differentiated instruction to all students to ensure that all students meet 3 levels of growth as measured by STEP (Strategic Teaching and Evaluation of Progress)
- Administer and score STEP reading assessment with fidelity
Professional Growth and Development
- Collaborate with instructional coaches, grade level chairs and school team to continuously improve instructional, culture-building and leadership skills
- Participate enthusiastically in all professional development, team planning, and data analysis meetings
- Function as a school wide partner in helping to raise student achievement and character for all students in the school reinforcing school-wide expectations and volunteering to take on additional actives as needed to improve school culture
- Reading Intervention teacher will be evaluated using the Teaching Excellence Framework
Skills and Characteristics
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills.
- High level of personal organization and planning.
- Team player: maturity, humility, grit, flexible, follow-through, sense of humor, open to feedback and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
- Strong belief in the Kuumba mission and educational model.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for subject matter.
Educational Background and Requirements:
- Two years of teaching experience highly preferred with a proven record of high achievement
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field
- Eligible for certification within the State of Delaware