If you live in any of the following situations:
- In a shelter
- In a motel or campground due to the lack of an alternative adequate accommodation
- In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station
- Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship
You may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.
Eligible students have the right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
- Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is their preference and is feasible.
- If the school district believes that the school selected is not in his/her beset interest, then the district must provide the student with a written explanation of its position and inform the student of his/her right to appeal its decision.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if requested.
- Receive educational servcies comparable to those provided to other students, according to the students' needs.
f you believe you may be eligible, contact the local liaison to find out what services and supports may be available.
If you need further information around resources for families experiencing homelessness, please contact: Ken Brown, Director of Family Engagement/Homeless Liaison email@example.com
If you or a family member are experiencing homelessness and need emergency shelter, call 302-654-0126 x112
Help for Families Becoming Homeless
When/If an Kuumba family becomes homeless, and the school officials are made aware of the situation, the following steps will be taken:
- Our homeless liaison, Ken Brown, will contact your family to determine the support that you need.
- Families will determine if they wish to continue their child's enrollment at Kuumba, or to move your child's enrollment to the district school in the attendance area where you will reside.
- If families choose to enroll elsewhere, Kuumba will make all contacts and records transfer necessary to the new school, to facilitate the student's move.
- If families choose to remain at Kuumba, the school may utilize Title I funds to assist with basic family needs and educational needs. Kuumba will document the services being provided in the DOE Homeless reporting system in eschool. These services are readily available for the Homeless Contact Associate at DOE to view. Kuumba will follow any required protocols as advised by that office, including connections with related services.
- Kuumba will share with families resources for shelter and transportation as needed.